Friday, September 08, 2006

Whew, about to slip down! - Mining Songs.

What has happened to good old mining disaster songs? Once a staple of popular culture, the tragic mining song is gone, with no replacement to be found. To fill this void lets revisit a few:
1. The Buoys -Song Lyrics from the 70s

"Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me
Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?'
- Answer: You blacked out and don't remember eating him, its a suppressed memory thing.

2. Working In A Coal Mine - by Lee Dorsey
Goin down, down, down, down. Lord he is soooo tired. How long can this go on?
A lot of questions in these songs. A fabulous song.

3. 1941 New York Coal Mining Disisater - The Beegees 1967

"Have you seen my wife Mr. Jones?
Do you know what its like on the outside?
Don't go talking too loud, you'll cause a landslide, Mr Jones."
- Again with the questions!
This was their first top 10 hit. They sounded like the Beatles, and the record was in close proximity on the record shelves.

4. Big John - BIG BAD JOHN. - Jimmy Dean

Then came that rumble way down in the ground
And the smoke and gas belched out of the mine
Everybody knew it way the end of the line for Big John
(Big John Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
Now they never reopened that worthless pit
They just placed a marbled stand in front of it
These few words're written on that stand
At the bottom of this mine lies a big big man Big John
(Big John Big John) Big Bad John

And today you can buy Jimmy's sausage, original or maple flavored straight from the freezer case.

5. A Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn

Well, I was born a coal miner's daughter
In a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler
We were poor but we had love
That's the one thing my Daddy made sure of
He shoveled coal to make a poor man's dollar

Only a coal miner's daughter could rhyme Daughter and holler. No questions here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacia said...

Here's another, by the original Carter Family:

Coal Miner’s Blues

Some blues are just blues, mine are the miner's blues,

some blues are just blues, mine are the miner's blues.

My troubles are coming by threes and by twos.


Blues and more blues, it's the coal black blues,

blues and more blues, it's the coal black blues.

Got coal in my hair, got coal in my shoes.

These blues are so blue, they are the coal black blues,

these blues are so blue, they are the coal black blues.

For my place will cave in, and my life I will lose.

You say they are blues, these old miner's blues,

you say they are blues, these old miner's blues.

Now I must have sharpened these picks that I use.

I'm out with these blues, dirty coal black blues,

I'm out with these blues, dirty coal black blues.

We'll lay off tomorrow with the coal miner's blues.

5:17 PM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Here is one of the most famous that I almost forgot;





Sixteen Tons
(Merle Travis)
My note: Best remebered in a rendition by Tennesy Earnie Ford
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
Picked up a shovel and I walked to the mine
I hauled Sixteen Tons of number 9 coal
And the straw-boss said, "Well, bless my soul"

(Chorus:)

You haul Sixteen Tons, whadaya get?
Another older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

Repeat Chorus

Born one morning it was drizzle and rain
Fightin' and Trouble are my middle name
I was raised in a canebrake by an old mama lion
And no high-toned woman make me walk the line

Repeat Chorus

See me comin' better step aside
A lot of men didn't and a lot of men died
I got one fist of iron and the other of steel
And if the right one don't get ya, the left one will

Repeat Chorus

Born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
Picked up a shovel and I walked to the mine
I hauled Sixteen Tons of number 9 coal
And the straw-boss said, "Well, bless my soul"

Repeat Chorus


------------------------------------------------------------------------

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã