Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Looking East over Wayzata Bay

Wayzata
Behind this tree run the railroad tracks from Minneapolis going West.
I should take more photos of the railroad through Wayzata. This town was once a railroad destination, with tourists clamouring off the train onto the platform one mile from town to trudge back to their luxory Wayzata hotels. James J. Hill built the station outside the town to spite the local politicians.... his antics with the Wayzata town council are legendary (The station was later moved by Mr.Hill into town).

I love hearing the train whistle as it blows over the lake. You can hear it clearly at night in Deephaven, hauntingly , like the train in the distance in a De Chirico painting. Time goes by.

montparn_detail

Detail from Monparn Station- DeChirico

3 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

What kind of a train is it? Freight?

12:04 PM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Yes, Mostly freight, heading west to or from farm country. I think there are still some trains going to Glacier Park and on to Seattle (I took the train to Glacier twice).

I miss the mountains...

12:14 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I took that train to Glacier Park in.... 1976, I think. When the station was still in Minneapolis, not the Midway one.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã