Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Voted....and you are there.

Deephaven Village Hall

Deephaven City Hall 6:55 am.
The line is already forming, waiting for the Polls to open. I can honestly say, this is as heavy a morning turnout as I have ever seen. I wait quietly, two persons ahead of me a man in a business suit feverishly places calls on his cell phone. No time to lose.

The voting instructions are spread neatly at the front counter, in 8 languages. I try to determine which languages they are. I ask the voting judge. She does not know, but points out the sheet in Spanish. I asked her if I could have some of the sheets, and she curtly tells me that they are for the people who needed them. Fair enough. My guess: English, Spanish, Hmong, Russian, Norwegian, Chinese, Swedish and Klingon.

I vote, filling in the "bubbles"(their uniform description by the voting judges) completely using a black ballpoint pen with a popsicle stick taped to it. I imagine the debate: "We could call them 'circles', but circles are round. We could call them 'ovals', but this is a difficult word. Lets call them 'bubbles'. That will make it very clear." I managed to figure it out.

Good luck to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã