Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mystery Hotel

I was paging through “Picturesque Minnetonka” (a 1906 tourist booklet, reprinted in 1975) when I noticed the photo of the long gone Hotel Keeywaydin. A little mystery occured to me as I looked at the photo.
Hotel Keeywaydin photo

I believe that the name on the hotel has been either added or altered. Who would place the name of the hotel in such a position? Take a look, and then you be the judge. Traditionally the name would be centered over the entrance. The Hotel was located nearby my house and I have often wondered what tourist life was like in Cottagewood circa the 1890s.

IMHO - Long before photo shopped images, the airbrush was used to modify photos.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good eye! I think it odd that the foliage doesn't interfere with the label either :)

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This linked doesn't show the name but by the tree growth appears to be close in time.
http://tagger.steve.museum/steve/object/150315

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notice that the branches are not just close, but exactly identical! The link and this postcard are copies of the same photo. The link mentions that the flag in that one is hand drawn, so my guess is that the name is also hand drawn onto the building in the postcard version.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã