Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Not knowing an Egret from a Heron. My hat from my glove. I get misty.

The pond in back of our new home is a wading ground for two large white birds that I called herons. Pretty close, but I was corrected. “Egrets”. I took the opportunity to take a long distance zoom shot during the steady downpour. Here are the results at a 15Xzoom. I can do better. This from a website on bird identification: Great Egret - twice the size of Snowy Egret. Yellowish beak and legs. “The Great Egret is a large bird, 101 cm long and weighing 950 g. (2lb 1.oz) It is only slightly smaller than the Great Blue or Grey Herons. It has all white plumage. Apart from size, it can be distinguished from other white egrets by its yellow bill and black legs and feet. It also has a slow flight, with its neck retracted. This is characteristic of herons and bitterns, and distinguishes them from storks, cranes and spoonbills, which extend their necks.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy B said...

You could name one of them "Johnny" and the other one "Mathis."

12:13 PM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Nancy - yeah, I could.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã