Saturday, May 28, 2005

Signs

“Signs, signs, every where a sign. Don’t do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the sign?”.... Remember that crummy song from 1971 (I think). Well, speaking of signs, I have posted a photo of one of the local signs about rules on Lake Minnetonka. Remember, NO SPEARING of Muskalunge. 40 lb. Minimum.
I hung up my fishing spear years ago, along with my brush spikes for sprinting. The brush spikes were outlawed by the Olympic Games Committee in 1968. It was thought that these shoes with hundreds of tiny little spikes gave sprinters too much grip on a tartan track surface. Anabolic steroids were not even in the picture then.

The other new picture posted is a picture of the local Cottagewood General Store which the sign says is CLOSED - but now it is now open. Barbeques every Friday night. Americana preserved circa 1890.
My final sign story comes from my health club- The Crosstown/Northwest Racquet Club. I was working out and I noticed a sign on the Nautilus-like weight equipment. Printed In bold red lettering:
STAND CLEAR
WHEN MACHINE IS IN OPERATION
I turned to a Personal Trainer who was standing nearby and said. “You know, that would make great copy for a T-shirt.” He looked at me, and then he carefully explained to me that the sign meant that for your own safety you should not get too close while someone was using the exercise apparatus.I could hear the 747 soaring over his head.

I always look for signs and symbols that would make cryptic t-shirts. I think I am going to make a t-shirt for myself with the ever-present “Check engine” symbol that is glowing on my VW dashboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã