Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Mondrian on Minnetonka

Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) is considered the father of modern architecture. His "Neo plasticism' reduced the representation of nature to its most basic elements; primary colors, black and white, horizontal and verticle lines with a careful sense of balance and composition.

Side bar: Loreal and The Brady Bunch Intro are wonderful kitchy Mondrianisms.

Imagine my surprise to find this bold house perched above St. Alban's Bay amidst the neutral toned, almost institutional homes featuring lofty vaulted ceilings, 3 car garages and arched window foyers.
This colorful house, not yet hidden by foilage, really stands out from it's neighbors. You have to admire the daring of these homeowners... who I admit I do not know. However - I would suggest that they replace most of the dominant bold blue with a more Mondrian white, blue in a more supportive role. Piet would agree I am sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã