Thursday, October 02, 2008

Honey Mushrooms - gold in your own backyard

Honey mushrooms in my woods
I walked back into our woods to see why the dogs were barking up a storm. It could mean that they‘ve treed a squirrel, were confronting a deer, - or more likely they were poking their noses into a bunch of burrs, trying to roust a chipmunk.
I found them rustling and poking for no apparent reason in the brush. Then I was surprised to see the old rotting oak stump encircled with a yellow wreath of mushrooms. I had never seen these before and it set me aback. How long has this been going on?
A little research shows them to be the ubiquitous “Honey mushrooms”. Common and varied in appearance they are marked by their honey yellow appearance. Some mushroom-o-philes find them to be desirable and edible. Some. Others yak them up.
Still, they appeared quite unexpectedly and disappeared as quickly....within a few days... dissolving into the earth and woods.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw your picture in the Lake Minnetonka magazine. I imagined you had a long, gray ponytail! Thanks for these photos....

4:58 PM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

I really appreciate the article, it was very nice of them. The photo of me... well, it wasn't good. Or do I just have a false perception of myself?
As far as a gray pony tail: If that is the image my blog conjures up of me, Lord help me!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

This is a beautiful photo to a forty-something that picked and ate these with my grandmother as a child.
Thanks for posting (:

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill,
You are a sweetheart...and brave - and you actually ate these?

Minnetonkafelix

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã