Thursday, December 04, 2008

A Journey to Minnesota's Oldest Standing Bridge

Old Stone Arch Bridge
Occasionally I stray from Lake Minnetonka's shores to visit a friend whose property includes Minnesota's oldest standing bridge. The Point Douglas-St. Louis River Road Bridge. ( Also known as; " The Old Stone Arch Bridge").
It is not a large bridge, it can hardly accomodate two people walking, although a formal descriptionstates that it is 17feet wide and 12 feet high. It is slowly crumbling from tree roots and over growth. This bridge was built in the 186Os, but was probably not the first bridge on the site. The bridge was part of a series of frontier roads pitched as "Military Roads" in 1850 by Henry Hastings Sibley. Sold as miltary purpose roads, they were probably used more often by early settlers of the Minnesota Territory.
The bridge crosses Brown's Creek, which flows east into the St. Croix River.
Old Stone Arch Bridge - Stillwater
The Bridge from the Book

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome post. Thanks for sharing!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small world.... that's Bailey with you in the first photo, eh? Appears that I'm friends with your friend's eldest boy.

This is an old photo of the bridge I found in the MN Historical Society's archives one time:

http://collections.mnhs.org/VisualResources/VRDbimages/pf014/pf014659.jpg
Circa 1940

I've got a few of the bridge myself here. From early spring. Sure is a neat old bridge, I enjoyed the post.

10:51 AM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Greg, small world is right. Thanks.
Yes, that's Bailey showing his back side to the camera.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Ed Kohler said...

Very cool. Stone arch bridges give me hope that we can build stuff that outlasts us.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I've been here several times. Found your shot on Flickr. Here is a link to my set on Flickr of pictures I've taken.

I really hope that Barb can get the restoration going on this. Would be a waste of an incredible landmark if something didn't happen with that.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Actually - locals just call it "Stone Bridge" - rather than "stone arch" - in fact, living here all my life, I've never heard it called such. Now I think there is a bridge in the cities referred to as "stone arch"

9:11 AM  
Blogger minnetonkafelix said...

Linda, I think I made a (mental)misnomer. I believe You are correct, and yes the Minneapolis Bridge is called that.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã