Thursday, October 01, 2009

Booya. A dish from the other side of the Cities

Booya

It is sometimes spelled "booyah". The origin of the name and the dish has been a source of controversy for a long time. Some say it came from the French Canadian trappers and "bouillabaisse" and that it originally contained turtle meat. The dish really has very little in common with "bouillabaisse" and it seems much more Eastern European. I tend to believe it is Polish. It is a Polish tradition in South Saint Paul. It is really a community dish, kind of like Hobo Stew.
Mine is good but not authentic.

This is a direct copy form my FlickR post on Booya:

Looks great -- beautiful pic, and I like the white bowl too. I wonder what word "booya" came from? Doesn't sound Polish but it must come from a Polish word... maybe I can figure it out.
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | delete )

dr_loplop says:
bouillon?
dr_loplop says:
(I know it's not polish, but you never know)
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | delete )

minnetonkafelix says:
It is sometimes spelled "booyah". The origin of the name and the dish has been a source of controversy. Some say it came from the French Canadians and "bouillabaisse" and originally contained turtle meat, but the dish really has little in common with bouillabaisse and seems much more Eastern European. I tend to believe it is Polish.
Mine is good, but my Booya is not high cuisine.
Posted 34 hours ago. ( permalink | delete | edit )

muwen says:
I have no odea how it would taste like. Does it taste spicy or sweet sour?
Posted 19 hours ago. ( permalink | delete )

minnetonkafelix says:
Muwen, it is a slightly spicy meat stew. The meat is usually an inexpensive beef, chicken or both with tomatoes, available vegetables and cabbage.
Posted 9 hours ago. ( permalink | delete | edit )

dr_loplop says:
one of the most popular polish dishes, a hunter's stew, is made of beef, vegetables and pickled cabbage. i can't remember its name, but think it begins with b.
Posted 8 hours ago. ( permalink | delete )

minnetonkafelix says:
That sounds about right Dr.L.
Posted 7 hours ago. ( permalink | delete | edit )

bootsartemis says:
I found "bigosz" but that can't be it (includes apples and sausage), but I haven't given up on looking. Am curious about all Slavic dishes and names of dishes.

felix, you say "good but not high cuisine" -- but? not sure what "high cuisine" means anyway, but peasant-origin stews/soups are among the best dishes in the entire world. I've been learning how to make Indian dal lately. The aroma of the spices browning in ghee is paradise on earth.
Posted 6 hours ago. ( permalink | delete )

minnetonkafelix says:
Boots,
It is obvious that you, Dr. Lop and I love cooking and it's traditions.
Posted 5 hours ago. ( permalink | delete | edit )

dr_loplop says:
Too right! it was indeed bigos(z) that I was trying to remember the name of, which is made from whatever meat is to hand. Apparently its name means "big mess" in Polish.
Posted 2 hours ago. ( permalink | delete )

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a really good recipe for booya if anyone is interested....

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a-
You are welcome to post your nrecipe and I will do an updated post. Send it to my e-mail.

M-Felix

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã