Sunday, March 04, 2012

A fox I met.

A fox I met

He was ambling unaware and indifferent, I must say. Deephaven foxes can be that way. I drew this illustration, - I can only assume it was a he. He didn't leave a calling card, he was thoughtful as can be.
OK it's crummy poetry, but I gave it a shot.

I have seen foxes around Deephaven quite commonly, but lately they look so healthy I mistake them for pets. So I looked up a bit of general information about foxes from the MN DNR site:

The red fox is common across Minnesota, even in the Twin Cities and suburbs. This reddish-colored animal is a cousin to the dog. Foxes live in ground dens or brush piles and are particularly active at night.
Identification

General description: This is a medium-sized predator (meat eater) often seen running quickly across fields or through woods.

Size: The average size of an adult fox is 15 to 16 inches tall at the shoulder. It is about 3 feet in length, with a 13-inch tail.

Weight: Between 8 and 15 pounds.

Color: Well-known for its rusty-red coat, white-tipped bushy tail, and black legs, ears and nose. In Minnesota, there are several different color variations including nearly solid black, silver-black and red bisected by dark bands across the back and shoulders (called a cross fox).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã