Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Andrew Sisters of Mound

The Andrew Sister's first hit song was "Bei Mir Bist du Shoen" (1932) - which was an updated Yiddish folk song. My translation: "You are beautiful to me". Kind of a back handed compliment, but I have never heard the song.
Others were "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Apple Blossom Time", "Don't sit under the apple tree". They sold a lot of vinyl, and made quite a cultural impact.

The Andrew Sisters had a stellar group career - The Andrew Sisters were the most popular female vocal group of the first half of the 20th Century. And they hung around Mound Minnesota during their summers, probably tripping over Tonka Toys left out in front of their Uncle's (Pete and Ed Sollie) grocery store in Mound.

Their names were Laverne, Maxine and Patty. Their stylistic and punctuated harmony and delivery stand in stark contrast to female vocalists of today's "Deva" ilk. IMHO- these American Idol model/clones are rambling, supercilious, and lack personal style. On the occasions when I have listened to one sing, I could not discern a coherant melody... and I tried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ã